I know that mainstream media is trying to be more including of disabilities. That's great and all. I really wish they would do better research, meet with people, do it better. I also wish they would stop picking the "easy" disorders to display cause they are screwing them up. I'm sitting here watching old episodes of Grey's Anatomy. There's an episode with a visiting cardio surgeon who is described as "off" and is very deadpan and obsessed with rules. She was supposed to have Asperger's Syndrome. There's a show called Parenthood where one child has Asperger's. Well, they are all over the place with that one, but, then again, that could just be poor acting on the kid's part cause he didn't do great on Grey's Anatomy either lol. I've read blogs from wheelchair users who don't like some of the things Artie does on Glee. Personally, I like Glee, but I see their point.
When these shows decide to use typical people to play roles of nontypical characters, a little better research could be done. Bring in consultants. Have wheelchair users come on set and teach the guy how to sit in a wheelchair the way someone who really has been using a WC for 10yrs would sit. Have parents of Aspie kids come and teach the actor how he would act for everyday life. Sometimes, you just roll your eyes at it but sometimes, it's an insult. Parenthood, I roll my eyes. Whatever. The one they just did on Grey's was an insult. It was also insulting and rediculous that these DOCTORS couldn't figure out they were dealing with someone on the spectrum. Instead, they called her "off" and "weird" and manipulated her like an idiot or child. Then, to make it worse, Grey's threw in some Temple Granden crap. Suddenly, this woman is supposed to be throwing a sensory fit(totally looked like a psychotic episode) and starts rambling about deep pressure and hug machines and cows. WHAT?!?! Really!? Even Jeremy was like "What is this crap?!" Not every Spectrum person needs deep pressure to calm down. For example, it's rubs and scratches in patterns for Hayden.
There are MANY adults out there with Asperger's Syndrome. A good 98% don't know they have it. It was only relatively recent that Asperger's was recognized as a seperate diagnosis. Before, those people were just OCD, antisocial, ADHD, with poor relationships, possibly called Schizophrenic. Many were just called Losers, Nerds, Weirdos, or Freaks.
These are just thoughts of a weirdo watching Season 5 of Grey's Anatomy on a Sunday Morning :D

No comments:
Post a Comment