Sunday, January 2, 2011

Forward Momentum

This is the time of year that everyone reflects on the events and changes of the previous year. 2010. 2010 was an interesting year for us. Kaitlyn moved from Kindergarten to 1st grade. Hayden moved from ESE pre-k to mainstream Kindergarten. We moved several states away. We went from Sea duty to shore duty. We've started new adventures and walked away from old ones. Lost friends, gained friends and just had an interesting year.

Hayden

Last year started out rocky for Hayden. We were dealing with alot of respiratory symptoms for him. As usual, we weren't getting alot of answers, just guesses. His GI stuff did a flip from diarrhea to constipation. Before, we couldn't get it to stay in. Now, we are looking for things to get it out. The last half of 2010 was promising, though. We saw a dramatic decrease in the respiratory crap and a bit of weight gain and growth. It wasn't much but it definitely was much appreciated. Hayden's weight still has both Jeremy and I concerned as he looks like a walking skeleton.
Photobucket


Not much we can do about it right now as his new GI doesn't look at HIM, just a piece of paper. This puts him at about 30 something% for weight. They are only concerned in he's below 25%, but when he turns 6, which is just a couple of months, his current weight puts him barely at about 10%.

On the other side, Hayden has made progress at school. He still struggles socially, but that has come to just be apart of life for him. He has made a couple of friends, Aiden and Tristan. Hayden even had Aiden over for an overnight. It went ok. Hayden's teacher tested his reading level. Hayden reads at the level of a 2nd grader halfway through the school year. This was at the beginning of Kindy. That's AWESOME! The downside to that, though, is that his reading comprehension was barely at Kindergarten. That, too, isn't surprising and is a common thing for Aspies. My theory is that he gets the rules of written english and that's why he can read such big words and books. He doesn't process it, though. It would be like you or me reading a manual on biophysics. We would read most of the words but not understand a lick of it. lol. Hayden also got a new chair this year (see previous posts). This chair has opened up freedom and independence for him. He can conserve energy and go far but have a bit of control over where he goes. He can't selfpropel huge distances or even around the grocery store, but he can move himself to things he wants to see. This has also opened up freedom for us. No longer must we have two pushers for outings or fill a shopping cart with children. It's like he's walking next to us. It's great!

Photobucket


Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn has started a few new things this year. She's cheering again and truly enjoys it. She's also done a few pageants again and has expressed the desire to continue. She has also started Girl Scouts. Kaitlyn's a Daisy. She's doing really well with this one, too. She's also made new friends at her new school. She's also been introduced to female drama at the elementary level. lol She has her best friends and kinda friends and friends she puts up with lol. Kaitlyn has also had her troubles this year. We are still working with her on her lying and her drive. Kaitlyn's reading level was tested, as well. She tested with the reading ability and comprehension of a 3rd grader the first week of 1st grade. Yet, another test, she tested as just above avg. for 1st grade. The way the test is administered, though, she can choose to quit when she wants. She quit early. *sigh* We will work on this motivation to finish problem. In 2010, she also had her first slumber party with 2 of her friends. That went great, better than expected.

Photobucket

MaKaylah-Ann

Well, what can I say about Ms. MaKay? She is just as sassy and loud as ever. This last year, she made huge progress with her speech. At the beginning of 2010, she had just begun speech therapy and wasn't speaking English at all. By the end of spring, she was running her mouth and using her words for good and evil. MaKaylah has also shown a love for sign language and picks that up easily. She still has problems with fluid on her ear drums which leads to occasional ear infections and misunderstanding of what's being said. We are working on that. Makaylah still appears to have sugar problems with spikes and dives. Her A1C was normal, though, so I'm not stressing it. We just solve as they arise. MaKaylah still misses her friend Haley from Jax. That was the little girl of Makay's care provider while I was in school. She still asks for "Mi Kappy," too. I miss Katheline, as well.

Photobucket

Jeremy

Jeremy transitioned to shore duty this year. Although he doesn't always admit it, I think he misses the ship. One thing he is loving is the ability to hunt frequently. Jeremy got a taste of possibilities this last year as he was selected for Chief's board but wasn't a board selectee. We still aren't on 100% the same page of where he should go from here, but, hopefully, we'll figure that out this year.


Photobucket

And last, me.



This past year was definitely a funky year. I had to learn a few new things about myself. I had to make decisions. I am continuing schooling and hope to be an RN within the next 2 years. I had to learn the hard way that not all people are good, even other moms. I got burned by a few people. I had to cut others away so I could grow on my own. I had to learn that I can't shoulder other people's weight. I can't take on my friend's responsibilities and a good friend wouldn't ask me to. This past year, I let go of 2 long time friends and 3 fake friends that I trusted too easily. I found that by letting these people go and stop worrying about their children and their mistakes, I had alot less stress around me. Amazingly, I lost 20lbs almost immediately of letting the last 3 go. It was literally and figuratively a weight off my shoudlers( and hips and belly and....). I am still struggling slightly with small reminants, like my mind wondering to these people and situations but I'm learning to stop myself. I have many people in my life who I've been friends with for years. They are fellow moms. They aren't as demanding or stressful. These are effortless friendships. They are much appreciated. My self esteem and confidence is still recovering from the other individuals but it's on the up and up. I also have a new doctor. She has hope that she can figure out what is going on with my body and get me back on track. She's the first doctor to look at me and say "yeah, you're overweight but this isn't you and this isn't something you completely did to yourself. Something's not right." She looked at my weightgain history and red-flagged it. Gaining 35lbs in 30days specifically following each pregnancy and only then isn't normal. She's also adding in the other symptoms noted and not.We are working together on this. I'm also helping with Kaitlyn's cheerleading and girl scouts and doing alot of sewing and bow making. I'm hoping, this year, to actually make and sell items again. This time, I'm including clothes with my goods.


Photobucket






For 2011, we have many goals, large and small. We are working to improve our home. We are still working at the Hayden puzzle. Kaitlyn may go to a competition cheer squad. I'm hoping to increase my personal income to my household. We are getting financially better and have almost gotten rid of all of our debt(minus vehicles). It's nice knowing we don't qualify for debt con. as our debt is so low. This year, this month, it will be gone. That's a great feeling. We are hoping for more vacations and travels this year. MaKaylah starts Pre-K in the fall. We'll have an empty house during the day. That will definitely be new. I'm hoping to grow with my scrapbooking. That's a new area for me and it's looking promising.



So here's to 2011, the unknown, the adventure. Let the journey begin.....

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment