Friday, July 29, 2011

Moo Psi Moo

Since Hayden was a baby, he's had issues with milk. As an infant, he was on Nutramigen formula. When he was one, we tried milk again along with Pediasure. That was a 2 year dramatic fail. We went to Peptamin Jr. Once again, we tried a milk-based formula. That was the boost. Nope. It caused him problems. Now, Hayden is on Elecare formula. I think he's going to end up stuck here. To make it worse, GI is saying to just 100% milk/soy free since he appears to just not be able to process the proteins. It wrecks havok on his system. From gut pain to bowel problems to sinus reactions and irritating his asthma, he just can't handle it. It's been said that he couldn't handle the proteins before. It was just thought that, since he was an infant/toddler, he would outgrow it. Well, at 6.5, I guess he's not.

I've talked to him about it and explained how we are going to have to take away alot of the foods he likes. Boy, I don't think I quite got how difficult that would be. Tonight, we went grocery shopping. I read label after label after label. Thank God WalMart clearly prints which foods have what allergens in bold letters. A few other companies do, too. Some don't. It was hard. Hard in the fact that some of the ingredients were not written in languages spoken on this planet. Hard cause some foods that you wouldn't expect to have milk did. Did you know that frozen veggies have milk?! Yeah, seriously... they do. Aisle after aisle, shelf after shelf, foods were just ticked off this list. *sigh* It looks like Hayden is restricted to a few meats, raw veggies and fruit. Even canned tuna has milk. Fruit pops have milk, pretty much all frozen dinners were out. Most cereals are no-nos. Even iinstant oatmeal and pop tarts are out. What is he supposed to eat?

I'm determined to find things for him to still enjoy. I will sit back and force my son to only eat cardboard or drink dirt for the rest of his life. I will find recipes for soy free, milk free, dairy free, easy-to-chew, casein free foods. Until then, I will take small peace in finding a "candy bar" that was gluten free, soy free, dairy free, taste free chocolate that he liked. I think he was just desperate lol. We will also have to make sure that this is part of his school plan at the meetings in August. The school will have to provide him dairy/soy/casein free meals. We will also need to find away to send his formula to school and it to be served. I also think it's time that I start procrastinating and get a medical alert bracelet. Besides all his other issues, dairy/soy allergy will definitely need to be on there. I am just so thankful he doesn't have other food allergies *knock on wood*

No comments:

Post a Comment